Design And Technology: Product Design
GCE AS and A Level
This course helps students to develop a broad view of design technology, developing skills in both creative designing of a product and following it through to the completion of the constructed product. It enables students to appreciate the complex relations between designs, materials, manufacture and marketing. Product Design provides students with the opportunity to be creative in thought and then develop the creative ideas into a finished product relating this to its place in the current markets.
OCR H055 (AS) H455 (A2)
It is recommended that candidates have attained communication and literacy skills at a level equivalent to GCSE grade C in English and numeracy skills at a level equivalent to grade C in Mathematics. It is also desirable that candidates have studied GCSE Resistant Materials or Graphic Products.
Progression routes from this course
- University courses to study design and engineering
- Gain employment through an apprenticeship.
AS Level Modules/Units
The AS GCE is made up of two mandatory units, which form 50% of the corresponding four-unit Advanced GCE
- AS Unit F521: Advanced Innovation Challenge
- AS Unit F522: The Product Study
- AS Unit F521: Advanced Innovation Challenge. A six hour exam with a practical element. Followed by a one hour written examination
- AS Unit F522: The Product Study. Coursework evidenced by a portfolio. Internally assessed then moderated by OCR
The Advanced GCE is made up of two mandatory units at
AS and two further mandatory units at A2.
- A2 Unit F523: Design, Make and Evaluate.
- A2 Unit F524: Product Design
- A2 Unit F523: Design, Make and Evaluate. Coursework evidenced by a portfolio. Internally assessed then moderated by OCR.
- A2 Unit F524: Product Design. A 2hr 20 min examination split into component 1 and component 2