Subjects offered at George Salter Academy:
- Accounting (AS/A2)
- Applied Law (BTEC)
- Applied Science (BTEC)
- Art & Design and Photography (AS/A2)
- Biology (AS/A2)
- Business (AS/A2)
- Business (BTEC)
- Chemistry (AS/A2)
- Children's Play, Learning and Development (BTEC)
- Core Maths (Level 3)
- Creative iMedia (Level 3)
- Dance (AS/A2)
- Design and Technology: Product Design (AS/A2)
- Drama (AS/A2)
- Engineering (BTEC)
- English Literature (A2)
- Film studies (AS/A2)
- Film studies (Level 2)
- First Language English (Cambridge IGCSE)
- French or Spanish (A2)
- Geography (A Level)
- Health and Social Care (AS/A2)
- Health and Social Care (BTEC)
- History (AS/A2)
- Hospitality (BTEC)
- Information Technology (BTEC)
- Law (AS/A2)
- Mathematics (GCSE)
- Mathematics (AS/A2)
- Music (A Level)
- Music (Performing) (BTEC)
- Music (Technology) (AS/A2)
- Performing Arts (Musical Theatre) (BTEC)
- Performing Arts (Acting or Dance) (BTEC)
- Physical Education (AS/A2)
- Physics (A Level)
- Psychology (A Level)
- Religious Education (AS/A2)
- Sociology (AS/A2)
- Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness) (BTEC)
- Travel and Tourism (BTEC)
Choosing your Subjects
Several new subjects have been offered in recent years. These include Religious Education, Sociology, Product Design, BTEC Engineering and Computer Science.
Students should make their Post-16 subject choices very carefully. All students should answer these ten questions when making their choices.
- What subjects are you good at?
- What subjects do you enjoy?
- Do you have a good range of subjects?
- What do you want to do in future?
- What subjects do you need to get into University or Employment?
- Are you best at exams or coursework?
- What do your parents think?
- What do your teachers think?
- Are you likely to need to resit GCSE English or Maths?
- Do your subjects complement each other?
Although most of our students take traditional A-levels, some take BTECs or Applied A-levels. At George Salter, all students are given individual programmes of study which combine academic and vocational subjects.
How do our courses meet the 16-19 programme requirements?
Options are in 5 blocks with a range of over 30 different subjects including A-Level, Applied General and Level 2 courses.
|Course||No of subjects|
|Applied General||15 subjects|
|Level 2||2 subjects|
Alongside the academic subjects, Salter Sixth offers a vibrant electives programme on Wednesday afternoons. Students have the opportunity to either participate in the programmes on offer or seek voluntary placements at external organisations.
As part of the electives programmes students can opt into a whole range of activities such as the Duke of Edinburgh Awards and various sporting activities as well as a range of catch-up sessions, thus developing students' social skills.
Furthermore, all students will have an additional period allocated on their timetable, normally a double period each week. This usually involves external agencies delivering study skill-focussed sessions, allowing students to prepare for the next phase of education and training through IAG.
Our PSHE programme offers a range of sessions on safeguarding and welfare. This takes place every week with a personal tutor who will be assigned to the students for the duration of the academic year.
A programme of activities is delivered to support students with a range of skills as well as discussing current affairs.
Find out more about our electives and our care and support.
One year course, designed for students who need to resit GCSE English and Mathematics.
- GCSE English
- GCSE English Literature
- GCSE Maths
- GCSE Humanities
- GCSE Short Course in Enterprise and Employability
- BTEC L2 Public Services or GCSE Travel and Tourism
- GCSE Film Studies or BTEC L2 Drama
Two or three year course designed for students who need to resit either GCSE English or Mathematics whilst taking L3 qualifications.
- GCSE English or GCSE Maths
- Two or Three A-levels, Applied A-levels or BTEC L3 courses
Two year course designed for students who have achieved at least C’s at GCSE, including both English and Mathematics
Will study four subjects which will be a combination of:
- A-levels, Applied A-levels and BTEC L3 Subsidiary Diplomas