BTEC Extended Certificate (equivalent to one A Level)
The new BTEC Extended Certificate in Information Technology uses a combination of assessment styles to give students confidence which they can apply to succeed in the workplace – and have the study skills to continue learning throughout their career. The range of vocational assessments – both practical and written – means learners can showcase their learning and achievements to best effect when taking their next step in IT, whether that’s supporting applications to higher education courses or to potential employers.
Students will become advanced users of the Microsoft Suite as well as other multimedia products. Students will develop their skills in project planning, identifying user needs, testing and the product cycle.
Minimum of a grade C in GCSE English Language
Progression routes from this course
After studying BTEC Extended Certificate in IT, many students chose careers in ICT technical support, web development, network administrator and network developer, nurses and environmental scientists. Students also have the option to go on to university to study a science based course.
Year 1 Units
- Information Technology Systems (mandatory)
- Data Modelling or Website Development (optional)
Year 1 Assessment
- Information Technology Systems (120 GLH) (written examination)
- Data Modelling or Website Development (60 GLH) (coursework)
Year 2 Units
- Creating Systems to Manage Information (mandatory)
- Using Social Media in Business (mandatory)
Year 2 Assessment
- Creating Systems to Manage Information (coursework – set and marked by Pearson)
- Using Social Media in Business (coursework)