French / Spanish
GCE A Level
Your GCE Modern Language course in either French or Spanish gives you a strong foundation for understanding both language and culture.
You will study the French/Spanish speaking world and the language in depth through a variety of interesting and topical themes.
French: AS 7651
Spanish: AQA 7692
Minimum of a grade B in GCSE French/Spanish and of a grade C in GCSE English Language and GCSE Mathematics
Progression routes from this course
Modern Foreign Language graduates have some of the highest rates of graduate employment.
It is great for any kind of career that involves travel, European politics, engineering journalism, and any international multinational company will always value language skills. Popular careers for people with modern foreign language qualifications include: business careers, engineer, journalist, lawyer, and entrepreneur.
Having a language A Level will help you to stand out in the eyes of any employer, as there are not many sixth forms and colleges who offer languages at A Level, it is a sure fire way to get noticed.
At university you can combine a language with many other subjects including: European Studies, Politics, International Relations, History, Maths, Business Studies, Law and many more.
A2 year 1 French Modules/Units
- Aspects of French-speaking society: current trends
- The changing nature of the family
- The cyber-society
- The place of voluntary work
- Artistic culture
- A culture proud of its heritage
- Contemporary francophone music
- Cimema: the 7th art form
- Literary texts or film
A2 year 1 French Assessment
- Paper 1 – Listening, Reading and Writing - 1 hour 45 minutes, 90 marks (45% of AS)
- Paper 2 – Writing – 1 hour 30 minutes, 50 marks (25% of AS)
- Paper 3 – Speaking 12-14 minutes, 60 marks (30% of AS)
A2 year 2 Modules/Units
- Social issues and trends
- Political and artistic culture
- Works: Literary texts or film
A2 year 2 Assessment
- Paper 1 – Listening Reading and Writing – 2 hours 30 minutes (40% of A-level)
- Paper 2 – Writing – 2 hours (30% of A- level)
- Paper 3 – Speaking – 21-23 minutes (30% of A-level)