Art & Design and Photography
GCE AS and A Level (with endorsements that can be taken in Fine Art or Photography)
The AS course is about experimentation and developing your skills and own practice.
AS Practical Workshops, the use of a live brief, supported by a residential experience will be the foundation of the course. This will allow pupils to build and create a suitable body of work and develop a specialism strength. This will be curated and exhibited by the pupils themselves at The Eden project, Cornwall.
Once pupils have developed and found their preferred media/technique, a project theme is given by the exam board, and then a project is cultivated which is 100% of the AS grade.
A2 is about the strengths, interests and preferences of the pupil – a totally personal project. A practical portfolio
Fine Art: H201, Photography: H203 and Textiles: H204
- Grade B in any endorsement preferably within your chosen endorsement or
- Meeting with the Head of Department to show and discuss your portfolio of work
Progression routes from this course
Foundation course leading to a BA (Hons) degree in anything art-based that links to your chosen endorsement. For example:
- Fine Art: painting, drawing, sculpture, print-making, ceramics, woods/metals and plastics, illustration etc.
- Photography: film, animation, games design etc.
- Textiles: fashion design, illustration, surface pattern etc.
- Practical workshops – Teacher assessment for each workshop
- Externally set task (01) – Practical exam
- Externally Set Task by Exam board – Released January 1st 80 marks
- Practical exam –10 hour – 100% of total AS grade
- Personal Investigation – A personal project that includes a
Practical portfolio of work and a related written study.
- Externally set task (02) – Practical Exam
- Personal Investigation (01) – 120 marks – 60% of total A Level. A personal project that includes a Practical portfolio of work and a related written study.
- Externally set task (02) – Practical Exam – 80 Marks – 40% of total A level